The Primitive Methodist Church was built by the 1870s, as one of many plain and pious Methodist sects. It was administered as part of a circuit including Glebe and Balmain. The sects gradually came together and by 1906 this congregation had merged with the broader Methodist Church. It continued in that form until 1922. When parishioners moved away from Pyrmont or adhered to other nonconformist congregations, the building was acquired by the Maybanke Free Kindergarten. It is still a kindergarten today.