Anzac Bridge

The main bridge work began in April 1992. The towers were completed in November 1993 and the decks by June 1995. The two halves met in July 1995, and the bridge was opened to traffic on 3 December 1995. The arterial length is 3 kilometres, the bridge itself 805 metres. The main span is 345 metres and the width 32 metres. The towers are 120 metres high, with 128 stay cables with 810 kilometres of strands, and thin stabilising cables between them. Ships’ clearance is 27 metres. 35,700 cubic metres of concrete were used, 6,635 tonnes of reinforcing steel, and 760 kilometres of prestressing steel.

The Anzac Bridge is a landmark as the western gateway to Sydney’s central business district. The light and elegant bridge is one of the longest concrete cable-stayed span bridges in the world. It was designed to provide clearance for tall ships, safe road gradients and connect easily with the Western Distributor and City West Link.

The bridge across Johnstons Bay is the third to link Glebe Island to Pyrmont. Blackbutts Bridge was the first, from 1857 providing access to the city from Glebe Island abattoirs. The second, the four lane swing span Glebe Island Bridge, in 1903, was one of the first electrically operated opening bridges in the world.

Known first as the Glebe Island Bridge, the present structure was renamed the Anzac Bridge on Remembrance Day, 1998. An Australian flag tops the eastern tower and a New Zealand flag the western. A statue of an Australian First World War digger was unveiled on Anzac Day, 2000: a New Zealand digger arrived in 2008.

Up to 180,000 vehicles use the Anzac Bridge each day. The 8 lane bridge with a pedestrian and cycle path links the Sydney CBD to the inner west and western suburbs: the City West Link is the east-west artery from the city to Parramatta Road at Five Dock.

Maintenance in 2012-2013 included installing permanent access systems for hard to reach areas of the bridge, modifying the bridge’s stay cables, replacing the fence along the shared pathway on the northern side of the bridge and installing a new fence along its southern side.

Facts and Figures

  • Main bridge commenced: April 1992
  • Western tower completed: November 1993
  • Eastern tower completed: September 1994
  • Western deck completed: July 1994
  • Eastern deck completed: June 1995
  • Two halves joined: 24 July 1995
  • Opened to traffic: 3 December 1995
  • Total length of the arterial: 3 kilometres
  • Length of bridge: 805 metres
  • Length of main span: 345 metres
  • Bridge width: 32 metres
  • Height of towers: 120 metres
  • Number of stay cables: 128
  • Total length of stay cables: 5 kilometres
  • Longest stay cable: 188 metres – 74 strands
  • Smallest stay cable: 88 metres – 25 strands
  • Length of stay cable strands: 810 kilometres
  • Minimum navigation clearance: 27 metres
  • Total amount of concrete used: 35,700 cubic metres
  • Total amount of reinforcing steel: 6,635 tonnes
  • Total amount of prestressing steel: 760 kilometres